Full course description
The Department of Defense (DoD) has an immense capability to support local, State, and Tribal governments when a disaster exceeds their capabilities. The mission area, known as defense support of civil authorities (DSCA), provides a concerted and structured effort to render DoD assistance while maintaining the federal nature of our government. As local emergency management and homeland security professionals, you will gain an understanding of how and why the DoD supports local efforts during disasters.
The topics addressed in this course include the following:
• The history of defense support of civil authorities (DSCA)
• The doctrine and strategies that underpin DoD DSCA activities
• The legal frameworks, missions, and forces related to DSCA
• The organization of and processes for DoD DSCA support
• Contemporary case studies in DSCA support